Pages

Monday, June 1, 2015

Milwaukee

So I've been back in the States for 5 days. Feeling restless. Feeling the culture shock.
  • Instead of walking the mile and a half to the grocery store, we drive it.
  • I can't shake the sense that I'm a visitor in my home (but not because my family hasn't been welcoming).
  • The oldest building around here was built in the mid-19th century.
  • They drink the beer cold.
  • You could fit a neighborhood inside Target.
  • Almost everyone I know is a white, middle class American born on this continent.
  • Everybody has so much stuff. America is unbelievably wealthy.
  • My bedroom is larger than some of my British friends' living rooms.
Everything looks the same as it always was, yet completely different. Maybe as the months go by, I'll feel fully at home here again. But something tells me this is what long-term traveling does to you...you leave a part of yourself behind, and it's replaced with all the perspective, values, and relationships you picked up while you were away. You see everything (and everyone) with outside eyes. Still figuring out what to make of it. But I think it's good.

What makes me happy, though, is meeting up with my best friends. Some of us talked every day, and others, barely at all. But regardless of that, each reunion has been as if nothing has changed. Despite how bewildering it kind of is to be back, these people remind me why I'm committed to being here. Especially with church. Having met so many young Reformed people in the UK who feel called to build the church in their various home countries, it makes me appreciate my own American friends all the more. It's making me see that we are the future of the church here. I'm feeling the weight of our responsibility. Responsibility is good. Hard, overwhelming, dangerous, yes. But also a blessing from God. He is using us to build His church.

So as sad as I am to no longer be in the UK, I am satisfied in knowing that I am exactly where God wants me to be. Faith comes in where His will seems scary or lonely or difficult. It's always worth it.

Besides, living back in the States means I get to wake up and to see this every morning:


advinkdsvjkdsvhvhdsjkvndskjvdshhfdyfjsdvnsd I MISSED MY ROOM SOO MUCH.

No comments:

Post a Comment