Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Jane Grey


Lady Jane Grey is a historical figure that - since I read her biography several years ago - I've always felt a connection with. Her academic and theological accomplishments, spiritual steadfastness, and willingness to accept whatever Providences befell her are things that I've always been drawn to and admire. Further than that, however, is that it's likely that we share the same birthday. Normally I wouldn't go bragging about something like that on my blog (who cares, anyways? ;-), but today that fact has been on my mind for a different reason - I'm the age she was when she died. Could I face the same gruesome death the way she did? The following is an account of the last moments of her life.
His [Guilford's, Jane's husband who was executed before her] carcass thrown into a cart, and his head in a cloth, he was brought to the chapel within the Tower, where the Lady Jane, whose lodging was in Partidge's house, did see his dead carcass taken out of the cart, as well as she did see him before alive on going to his death - a sight to her no less than death. By this time was there a scaffold made upon the green over against the White Tower, for the said Lady Jane to die upon.... The said lady, being nothing abashed....with a book in her hand whereon she prayed all the way till she came to the said scaffold.... First, when she mounted the said scaffold she said to the people standing thereabout: '
Good people, I am come hither to die, and by a law I am condemned to the same. The fact, indeed, against the queen's highness was unlawful, and the consenting thereunto by me: but touching the procurement and desire thereof by me or on my behalf, I do wash my hands thereof in innocency, before God, and the face of you, good Christian people, this day'
and therewith she wrung her hands, in which she had her book. And then, kneeling down, she turned to Feckenham [a priest who unsuccessfuly tried to convert her] saying, 'Shall I say this psalm?' And he said, 'Yea.' Then she said the psalm of Miserere mei Deus [Psalm 51], in English, in most devout manner, to the end. Then she stood up and gave...Mistress Tilney her gloves and handkerchief, and her book to master Bruges, the lieutenant's brother; forthwith she untied her gown. The hangman went to her to help her therewith; then she desired him to let her alone, and also with her other attire and neckerchief, giving to her a fair handkerchief to knit about her eyes.
Then the hangman kneeled down, and asked her forgiveness, whom she gave most willingly. Then he willed her to stand upon the straw: which doing, she saw the block. Then she said, 'I pray you dispatch me quickly.' Then she kneeled down, saying, 'Will you take it off before I lay me down?' and the hangman answered her, 'No, madame.' She tied the kerchief about her eyes; then feeling for the block said, 'What shall I do? Where is it?' One of the standers-by guiding her thereto, she laid her head down upon the block, and stretched forth her body and said: 'Lord, into thy hands I commend my spirit!' And so she ended.
Wow.

I don't know about you, but I find those words incredibly haunting. She starts off bravely, willing to face death in the face, but as soon as she can't see and is unable to find the block, the reality seems to set in and she panics. The painting at the beginning of this post portrays that instant of desperation. As if the story wasn't sufficient itself, the painting really makes you feel bad for her.


Enough morbidity. Anyways, I'd like to take this opportunity to recommend one of my favorite books EVER: Lady Jane Grey: The Nine Day Queen of England, by Faith Cook. It's a great read, and the story of this young woman's life could change your own. Do whatever it takes to get your hands on a copy of this book. It's that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment