Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Obsession

So today I discovered how to write a sonnet, and, being me, I wanted to try it out myself (mistake #1). After about a minute's deliberation of what to write about, it hit me - of course I was destined to start my poetic career by turning my favorite novel into a sonnet! (mistake # 2) After hours of grueling work trying find words that rhyme with "gallAHNT" and cursing iambic pentameter, I got so cracked up by what I created that I have decided to post it here for my your entertainment. (undoubtedly mistake # 3) So without further ado, I give you,
Sense and Sensibility Condensed into 14 Lines
To Devon came two sisters father-lost
   The first, of in-law's modest brother fond,
   Was wise and kind; the second, passion-toss'd,
   To be a true Romantic daily long'd.
The younger girl a pair of suitors gain'd:
   Laconic Col'nel and urbane gallant.
   The elder sister by a tale was pain'd -
   Her beau an ill engagement long had got.
The suave hero was found to be a rake -
   It nearly killed the jilted girl; meanwhile
   Shy Edward lost, for revok'd birthright's sake,
   His vain fiance to his brother's pile.
He wed Elinor at last - happy man -
   And Colonel Brandon won his Marianne.
Hahahahhahahaha!

2 comments:

  1. OMGOSH! Sarah that is adorable!!!! I love it. Especially the last two lines! <3
    Oh and I also love your new blogger profile pic. Very sophisticated!
    love ya,
    Madds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, this is brilliant!
    Now I want to hear Edward recite it the way he recited "The Castaway". Haha!

    ReplyDelete