Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

8am redemption

So today is Wednesday. I do not like Wednesdays. Up until this semester, they were never offensive to my delicate sensibilities, but this Fall.....whew. My schedule blew up and I am running around from one place to another from 8-5 before I meander back home to go to church. Somewhere I fit all my homework in. Oh my, it's a party.
 
This morning I was radiating joy, what with running late to school and panicking about an exam I had not studied for in a class by a famously difficult professor in a department where blow-off classes do not exist (HISTORY ALWAYS AND FOREVER BABY!!!). The day did not bode well.
 
But then it happened.
 
It was the end of Art History and we had just been discussing this sculpture. The key thing to understand about this period of Greek art is that they had apparently just discovered the smile, and naturally they overdid it and tacked one onto EVERYBODY. Think I'm exaggerating? Just google "Archaic Smile."

My apologies for the naked man, I know this is a family-friendly blog

I think this short exchange just about sums up the class's appreciation for the glory that is this piece of art:
Prof: "What does it look like is happening to him?"
Class: "Dying."
Prof: "How does he feel about it?"
My friend Bethany: "Fabulous."
Anyway, as if this could not be improved upon, within the last minutes of class, I sensed my professor was beginning to feel conflicted about something. After a few moments of consideration, she announced, "Ah, what the heck, we have time. This sculpture reminds me of a video. Have you guys ever seen the worst movie death scene ever?" What followed was the best 68 seconds of class I have yet experienced.
 
 
You'll thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment