Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Junto

A while back, some of my friends and I read the Autobiography of Ben Franklin. Maddie & I in particular were struck with an idea that Franklin had come up with - a literary/improvement-of-the-mind society in which a group of people read an appointed book - usually something on history, religion, philosophy, etc. - and discussed it on (I believe) Friday nights. Every few months each of them was required to write an essay on any particular subject and share it with the group. The group was called the Junto. So, as enamored as we were at the idea, we were also rather bummed that there weren't too many others who would want to do it with us. Until now......maybe. Except this time the Junto is going to be blog-based. We're keeping the name because, 1. It has a great historical significance, being the name that Ben Franklin called his, and 2. We couldn't think of anything better. But we came up with a motto: Non Solum Scientiam, Sed Sapientiam Petimus - We seek not only knowledge, but wisdom. (Proverbs 9:10) Each Monday, we'll write a post on the book we're reading together. We're starting off with A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft. If any of my 5 readers has a blog, and would like to join us, feel free to do so. You can leave a comment on this post letting us know.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to do that, it sounds like SO much fun!! I don't know if I can keep the commitment to be on at a certain time on a certain night, but I will absolutely try to keep up! :) I love reading, and I love talking about books...as my friends are well-aware. :)

    ReplyDelete