Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

2010

Happy New Year!

I can't believe it's been a decade since the "turn of the millennium." Amazing how quickly time goes by. There's something both sad and exciting about a new year - sadness because you can never get time back - all the good times you've had are mere memories now, and all the time you wasted will never be redeemed; it's exciting, however, because you have a whole year ahead of you filled with potentials - you can only guess and speculate on what's going to happen. Only God knows what's in store for us. Isn't that interesting how all the things in the future haven't happened yet, but they exist in God's mind?

Deep philosophical thoughts aside, I'm also surprised at how it's already been a year since I started this blog! I still vividly remember sitting in consternation in the living room, trying to figure out how to write a post. Ha. I hope I have many more years of blogging here yet!

Speaking of blogging, I'm really going to try at getting better with posting more often. Life gets so busy and at the end of the day the thought of using my mind and writing doesn't always appeal to me.........but I'm convinced it's a great way to organize my thoughts, build my skills at writing, and hopefully saying something worthwhile for others! Therefore, one of my New Year's resolutions is to be a better blogger. :-)

Since the topic of time is on my mind, I thought I'd leave you with this quote from Harvey Newcomb -

A very common fault lies in not estimating the value of a moment. This leads to the waste of immense portions of precious time. It is with time as with an estate. The old adage is, "Take care of the pennies, and the pounds will take care of themselves." So, if we take care of the moments, the hours will take care of themselves. Our whole life is made up of moments. A little calculation may startle those who carelessly trifle away small portions of time. Suppose you waste only ten minutes at a time, six times in a day; this will make an hour. This hour is subtracted from that portion of your time which might have been devoted to active employments. Sleep, refreshment, and personal duties, generally occupy at least one half of the twenty-four hours. You have, then, lost one-twelfth of the available portion of the day. Suppose you live to the age of seventy years. Take from this the first ten years of your life. From the sixty remaining years. you will have thrown away five years! These five years are taken from that portion of time which should have been employed in the cultivation of the mind, and in the practical duties of piety!

The common excuse for neglecting the improvement of the mind and the cultivation of personal piety, is the lack of time. Were you to employ one half of this time in reading, at the rate of twenty pages an hour, you would be able to read more than eighteen thousand pages, or sixty volumes, of three hundred pages each. If you employ the other half in devotional exercises, in addition to the time you would spend in this manner, upon the supposition that these five years are lost, what an influence will it have upon your personal piety! Or, if you spend the whole of it in the active duties of Christian benevolence, how much good may you accomplish! Think what you might do by employing five years in the undivided service of your Master.

1 comment:

  1. haha great post!! I really need to work on using my time more wisely too. But now there is a whole new year to start over and try things differently and hopefully by the end of it, I will understand some of the things God has been doing in my life and I will have grown closer to Him. :D

    ReplyDelete