Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Hither and thither

John Waterhouse, A Grecian Flower Market
  1. I recently finished reading The Rule of St. Benedict. Whooaaaaaaa. I'm so glad I'm Protestant. Those monasteries are something else, let me tell ya. For instance, there was a no talking rule. Even if you had guests or a hoity toity bishop or something there, you'd be in deep yogurt* for speaking to them. (Obviously, these monasteries are for men....women wouldn't survive for 5 minutes with no chit chat) Also, you had to go to prayer services around 7 times a day. That meant waking up in the middle of the night. Yeesh. Usually I'm a pretty laid back person, but let me tell you, if I have a bad night's sleep, watch out! Yeah, so I'd never make it there.
  2. For all those who like the game Monopoly, you'll like it even more after reading this article. Surprising, huh?
  3. The school year's coming to a close. Remember when I mentioned in September that I made the mother of all reading lists? Well, that mamoth number of 24 books has now been whittled down to 15. Funny how that happens. What was I thinking? [shaking head]
  4. I love the paintings done by John Waterhouse. It's probably because his subjects are mostly of  legends or the myths of my beloved Classical world. Ahhh. Do any of my 3 readers have a favorite painter?
  5. Charles Spurgeon had a great morning devotional for today.
*"deep yogurt" is a phrase easily recognized by anyone who's taken an IEW course. Mr. Pudewa is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment