Pages

Friday, May 14, 2010

My litterary hall of shame....or....The books I wish I didn't bother reading

THIS COULD BE YOU
In no particular order:
  1. The Mysteries of Udolpho. Ok, well, I'm sort of glad I read this one, because I kept hearing about it in Jane Austen and such. But boy, was this one a doozy. The character line-up includes a flighty heroine, a hero who eerily resembles John Willoughby in Sense & Sensibility, an aunt perpetually having a bad day, and the evil Count Montoni (he was really mean). It also boasts one of the sappiest plots ever. In parts where Mrs. Radcliffe intended for me to cry, I usually ended up laughing like a madwoman.
  2. Wuthering Heights. Perhaps one of my 3 readers has already noticed my disdain for this book. Cathy has too much of an attitude for me to sympathize with her, Heathcliff must be mad, and what is with the cousin marriage at the end? {shiver} Besides that, the tone of the book is so dreary that you feel depressed after each time you read it. And don't get me started on the plot...
  3. The Inheritance (Louisa May Alcott). This one makes Udolpho look serious. Also, if you've read Little Women, this would most definitely be the book Jo wrote. Features include archaic language complete with "thee" and "thou" usage and a predictable plot. Its one of the rare occasions when the movie is better than the book.
  4. Messenger. Lois Lowry is too out there. Unless you like books that don't make sense and end bleakly with conclusions that make you scratch your head.
  5. Gilgamesh. The ancient Sumerians had strange, strange minds. Nuff said.
I would have included Twilight here, but as I haven't had the horror of reading the series, I didn't think it'd be fair to include a book I haven't read. :D

1 comment:

  1. AGH!!! Shame on you for hating Wuthering Heights! So maybe Cathy and Heathcliff have some issues... but at least it was an interesting story! Plus it had a GREAT ending!

    Hey I read the inheritance too! I agree it was kinda childish, but did you know she wrote it when she was only 16? I think all 16 year-olds are way out on the sensibility side of the spectrum. (did that even make any sense??) haha.

    Your nerdy, freakish friend,
    Maddie

    ReplyDelete