Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

On Bunyan

I've been reading John Bunyan's autobiography. It's mostly from a spiritual standpoint, and one thing I found surprising was how long God worked on his heart before he was truly converted - something like 5 years! During that time, he sincerely wanted to understand how to be saved, but was constantly being assaulted by temptations and doubts. It made me think of Christian at the beginning of Pilgrim's Progress; undoubtedly Bunyan was drawing on his own experience while writing the book. I found myself readily sympathizing with him, because I remember (albeit after I was converted) a few years when I had my own painful struggles with assurance. I suppose all Christians can relate. We all have to walk through the Valley of Humiliation.

Another thing this made me think about was how Christians today unrealistically expect conversion to be this sudden, dramatic light-bulb experience. I know I used to think that way, which probably explains my astonishment at the length of time of Bunyan's conversion. I think of all the  over-zealous street preachers and conference speakers who pressure their listeners into saying "the prayer," regarding it as a magical incantation that guarantees one's way into heaven. From my reading and talking to people I know, I'm persuaded that God more often than not works out our salvation over a long period of time while we scarcely realize what's happening.

My favorite part of Pilgrims' Progress is when Christian stays at the Palace Beautiful. In the allegory, it's a picture of the weekly meeting of the church. The peaceful rest from his journey and the fellowship Christian enjoys with the inhabitants of the palace are a lovely portrayal of what the church visible is intended to be.

Christian arriving at the Palace Beautiful

"If I could possess the tinker's abilities to grip men's hearts, I would gladly give in exchange all my learning." - John Owen

"Prick him anywhere; and you will find that his blood is Bibline, the very essence of the Bible flows from him. He cannot speak with out quoting a text, for his soul is full of the Word of God." - Charles Spurgeon

No comments:

Post a Comment