Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Wives and Daughters - the rest of the book

So I finally decided to write another Junto post. I do cruel things to myself, like attempting to read 15 books at once (do not try this at home), convinced the earth cannot revolve another day if I don't finish each one by the end of the month. Fine literature such as Wives and Daughters often gets put on the back burner in the inevitable book-reading crises that occur when the 28th or 29th rolls around. So that, my dear readers, is my meager apology for forgetting to write another Junto post.

I suppose I ought to summarize what happened in the book.......but 500 pages worth of plot is not going to fit neatly into 2 or 3 little paragraphs. I'll give you the ADHD version here, and if you think I left too much out, go read Wikipedia:
  • Mr Gibson gets married and his new wife is....ANNOYING. Molly and her new step-sister, Cynthia, become best friends. Cynthia is one of those memorable characters - charming but odd, worldly but impetuous, superficial but mysterious.
  • Molly & Osborne and Roger become virtual brothers and sister. Osborne disappoints his family by neglecting his studies and going into debt. Mrs. Hamley becomes very sick and eventually dies.
  • Roger becomes smitten with Cynthia and they get engaged. Roger travels to Africa for 2 years to do research and collect specimens. Molly finds out Osborne has secretly married a young Catholic Frenchwoman, who has just had a baby.
  • Cynthia tells Molly that she's been engaged to another man, and creates a scandal in town when she breaks it off. She feels guilty about the whole thing, and breaks off her engagement to Roger too.
  • Osborne dies suddenly from a heart problem, and his widow shows up at Hamley Hall. Mr. Hamley, despite his hatred of French and Catholics, accepts his daughter-in-law and grandson.
  • Roger comes back, and Cynthia marries somebody she met in London. Roger falls in love with Molly.
Molly, Roger, and Mr. Hamley
 Here follow some random observations on the book.

Wives and Daughters really reminded me of Mansfield Park. They both have a good-natured, naive heroine who likes a nice-guy hero who is too stupid to realize it because he likes a less than upright woman. The aforesaid heroine spends most of the book pining for the hero, lamenting the unworthiness of her rival, until finally, in the second or third-to-last chapter, the hero awakens to the wonderful-ness of the heroine. Maybe some people like this kind of story, but I find it frustrating and dull. The whole time, I just want to shake the guy and make him see how much of an idiot he is. Wives and Daughters isn't as bad as Mansfield Park, however, so I was able to get over it most of the time.

Although some aren't excessively fond of Osborne,  I couldn't help being sympathetic towards him. Yeah, most of his problems are his own fault, but if his father hadn't been so narrow-minded, many of them could have been resolved. But still, he ought to have been brave and face his father. Doing the right thing is always worth the pain that it may cause.

I also found it ironic yet realistic how Osborne, who had been the "genius" of the family, ended up being overshadowed by the younger and slightly under appreciated Roger. How often are we so focused on what we perceive to be the greatness of one thing/person, while completely ignoring the equal worth of another?

All in all, Wives and Daughters wasn't a brilliantly thought-provoking book, but it was fun to read. I saw the movie a few years back, (which, alas, spoiled the plot for me) so I want to see it again and decide whether it was faithful to the book. I'll let you know what I find out.

1 comment:

  1. That was an awesome post! "Doing the right thing is always worth the pain it may cause." How profound! And it perfectly sums up my thoughts on Osborne's conduct. Except, if he had done the right thing and told his father the truth he wouldn't have DIED and what's more painful than that?? haha!

    Yes, overall I rather liked this fluffy, insignificant piece of literature...but I'm also very excited to get started on the deep stuff. So now I guess we can write an introductory post on the Odyssy (how do you spell that???) and get started!!

    See you next Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete