Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

How Bunyan Says the 10 Commandments

Everybody knows about John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, but not many know about all the other books he wrote. While searching on Google Books (one of my new favorite websites!) I found a book of poetry written by Bunyan for children, the end being to teach them about God and the Bible. The first poem is the 10 Commandments made to rhyme. I never thought I'd use "10 Commandments" and "charming" in the same sentence, but I think this is a worthy exception!

The Ten Commandments.

1.Thou shalt not have another God than me

2. Thou shalt not to an Image bow thy Knee

3. Thou shalt not take the Name of God in vain

4. See that the Sabbath thou do not profain

5. Honour thy Father and thy Mother too

6. In Act or Thought see thou no Murder do

7. From Fornication keep thy body clean

8. Thou shalt not steal, though thou be very mean.

9. Bear no false Witness, keep thee without Spot

10. What is thy Neighbours see thou Covet not.


Here's the orginal page:

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! That's a "charming" poem, as you say. There are some of his other books which I've heard highly of, but can't think of the titles at this moment. Maybe you could find a list of all the books he wrote and post them on here. It is hard for people to get past Pilgrims Progress.

    ReplyDelete