Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2009

An Important Resolution

With everybody making New Year's resolutions, might I suggest one that you add to your list?

Why not commit to setting aside time each day - whether its in the morning, after you wake up, or at night, before you go to bed - to reading a chapter in the Bible and praying? It could possibly be one of the most important resolutions you ever make. I can guarantee you that if you were to do this every day, and do it sincerely, not only 2009 but the rest of your life will change. Here 's why:

1. You'll grow closer to God. Prayer and reading the Bible will lift your thoughts Heavenward. Your thoughts will turn towards God more frequently and more affectionately.
a. More frequently because you're daily spending time with Him. You think most about those you spend the most time with, and the same is true with God.
b. More affectionately because the end result of studying the Scriptures will be admiration of our Lord. Just try to read John 19 & 20 and be unmoved, or the second half of 1 Kings 19 and not awe-inspired.

2. Your attitude will change. A daily reminder of God will make you realize that not everything revolves around you. It becomes, if not easier, at least more gratifying to help others.

3. You'll go throughout your day differently. Many times, something you read in the Bible will particularly stand out and fix itself to your mind for the rest of the day. With Scripture always in the back of your mind, you're less likely to give into temptation, and more likely to "hunger and thirst for righteousness."
So why not give it a try?


How can a young man keep his way pure?
By living according to your word.

I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.

I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.

Praise be to you, O LORD;
teach me your decrees.

With my lips I recount
all the laws that come from your mouth.

I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.

I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.

I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word.

Psalm 119:9-16

No comments:

Post a Comment