Pages

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Update on the sidebar and cups

Since I added some new ones to the sidebar, I thought I'd tell you about the books I'm reading right now.


Calvin's Institutes

First off, there's Calvin's Institutes. Right now I'm reading about the Trinity, and Calvin's defense for the deity of each person of it. I read it during my morning devotions, so that I don't forget to read it during the rest of the day. :-) A weird part of me is amused by how Calvin, when describing heretics and their heresies, often uses the word "stupid." You don't really think of a reformer as somebody who'd use that particular term!




Emotional Purity

This is a book that my mom and I had been wanting to read, and to our surprise, she found it at the public library! While reading this book, I keep finding myself wishing that I could have read it years ago! You always hear about purity in the sense of modesty, etc., but the topic of your emotions often gets forgotten. I don't know if its just me, but for the first few chapters at least, it seems like the author keeps repeating the same thing. But hey, repetitio mater studiorum - repetition is the mother of learning. So I wont complain too much.



The History of the Ancient World

Man, this author is impressive. Read her biography, and you'll see why I admire her. Anyways, she's writing a 4 volume history of the world, and this is the one on Ancient History. I really like how she tells history as a story, and not a bunch of dry facts. One thing I wish she covered more would be the culture of the civilizations she writes about - there's a lot of stuff about wars and politics (military history), but not as much about what daily life was like. But aside from that, I love this book! I've learned a lot from it.




In Christ Alone

This is a compilation of 50 articles Sinclair Ferguson wrote for several magazines, with the purpose being to show what, as the subtitle says- Living the Cross-centered Life - is like. Each chapter is only 4 pages long, so you could read several at a time, and feel like you made an accomplishment. :-) This is a very thought-provoking book.






The Last Days of Socrates

This is a series of the last discussions Socrates had in his lifetime, written down later on by his student Plato. I've only gotten a little bit into it, but so far this is a really fascinating book. There are places though, where you have to re-read what he's saying at least 3 times. But overall, I think it's worth the time it takes to read it, because in doing so, you're getting to know one of the greatest minds in western philosophy.




The Mysteries of Udolpho

Being the Jane Austen enthusiast that I am, when I saw this book at the library, visions of Northanger Abbey came to mind, and I was determined to see what the big deal was about this book back in the 1700's. I started reading the first 10 or 15 pages, and to tell you the truth, I'm a little disapointed. I'm hoping it gets better as the story goes on. So far there was somewhere around 6 pages spent describing a house and its grounds, which then reminded me of Les Miserables. Ick. Anyways, the people of the 18th century must have had a reason for liking this, so I'm going to see why.



Young People's Problems

I've quoted here a lot from this book. Every teenager should read it. You'll be convicted, inspired, and encouraged. I can't think of anything else to say other than IT'S REALLY GOOD!!! Books for teens today tend to be so shallow; this book, being over a hundred years old, could be read by adults and teens alike, and both of them would benefit greatly from it. It's definitely worth your time!




UPDATE ON THE CUPS MENTIONED IN PREVIOUS POST

Alas, while I was doing my devotions yesterday morning, I heard the sound of shattering glass. Yes, one of the glasses sacrificed itself for the other one. My mom was the executioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment